Tuesday, September 29, 2020 UTC
Recognized by industry leaders for extensive coverage on African Asset Management

AGF 2020 Educational Webinars

News > Private Equity > Exits

8 Miles Fund I to deliver first exit

Anna Lyudvig
Aug. 5, 2020, 1:58 p.m.
920

Word count: 303

8 Miles, a Pan-African private equity firm, has agreed to sell its entire 42% holding in Orient Bank, a mid-tier commercial bank in Uganda, to I&M Holdings.

Receive ONE magazine and TWO locked articles of your choice for FREE when you register an account
Share:

8 Miles, a Pan-African private equity firm, has agreed to sell its entire 42% holding in Orient Bank, a mid-tier commercial bank in Uganda, to I&M Holdings.

Upon completion this will be the first exit from 8 Miles Fund I.

Upon completion of the transaction, I&M Holdings will own 90% stake, whereas the remaining 10% shareholding will be held by Ketan Morjaria (a founding member of Orient Bank) and Alemayehu Fisseha. 

The transaction is subject to conditions including regulatory approvals from the Bank of Uganda, Central Bank of Kenya, and Capital Markets Authority of Kenya.

Subject to receipt of regulatory approval, Morjaria will continue to be a member of the Board of Directors of the Bank.

“The proposed transaction is entered into, as part of the Bank’s growth strategy aimed at becoming a leading player in Uganda’s banking industry and part of a strong and growing regional banking group,” according to the Orient Bank’s statement.

I&M Holdings is a conglomerate comprising banks, an insurance company and investment advisory businesses.

The group's headquarters are located in Nairobi, Kenya, with subsidiaries in Kenya, Mauritius, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda.

Orient Bank was founded in 1993 and provides banking, stockbroking and other related financial services to retail, corporate and SME customers in Uganda.

With assets of around $170m, Orient Bank currently has a network of 22 branches in commercial centres across the country and employs over 390 people.

In February 2015, 8 Miles acquired a 42% stake in Orient Bank, alongside a consortium principally comprised of the founders of the bank, by purchasing shares from Keystone Bank, a state-owned Nigerian bank.

8 Miles LLP is regulated by the UK Financial Conduct Authority and the Fund is only open to institutional and qualified investors.

Advisers to 8 Miles LLP on this transaction are Clifford Chance and Bowmans Kenya.

Registration Login
Sign in with social account
or
Lost your Password?
Registration Login
Sign in with social account
or
Registration Login
Registration